History of Loretto Council

  • On Sunday, July 29th, 1900. A meeting was held at Our Lady of Loretto Church. For the purpose of organizing a council of the Knights of Columbus in Cold Spring.
  • On September 9th, 1900. A second meeting was held at the law offices of J.B. Southard. A motion was made that Loretto be the name of the council after the parish in which the council was to be originated.
  • Organizing an entirely new council of the order, was by no means a small one, members worked together and soon had an application filed for a charter which was granted on October 18th, 1900.
  • On January 13th, 1920. Grand knight, Edward K. Gallagher appointed a comity. It was in inquire as to a price and all details pertaining to the purchase of a building on main street. The building was purchased on May 20th, 1920. This is the currently the site of our council hall.
  • The council's record of worry meritorious activities and accomplishments in over 100 years of existence are far too great and lengthy to list here. Today, the council is steadily increasing its membership. It is hope that the principles of the founders will always be carried out and that our council will always be an influence for the good in the community and for service to God and country.